Feature Community: Edmonton, Alberta’s Old Strathcona
Looking for a community thriving with excitement and activity? Look no further than Edmonton’s Old Strathcona! Located on Whyte Avenue, Old Strathcona is a community filled with local entertainment, food, and retail. In 2013, Old Strathcona and Whyte Avenue were named 12th of the top 20 streets in Canada by Vacay.ca. In the breakdown, they said that Whyte Avenue is “Edmonton’s official party headquarters,” and it is exactly that. This community appeals to all ages with its diverse layout of shops, vast entertainment options, cafes, and restaurants.
Although Old Strathcona may appear to be highly focused on entertainment, there are historic aspects in the community as well. The area is filled with historical buildings, and Edmonton’s arts and culture are celebrated here in the dynamic shops and retail options located on Whyte Avenue. The community celebrates the diversity of its shopping options and supports local boutiques and individually owned stores. Old Strathcona is truly a place to find new and unique things while engaging in the community and its people.
- Staying true to Old Strathcona’s appeal for fun and adventure, if you are want to try something daring, check out Eternal Ink Tattoo. Whether you want to be spontaneous or you finally want to get that tattoo you have been planning for years, Eternal Ink is just the place. The team has a creative and unique approach to art that will ensure your new ink is just how you desire.
- Looking for food? Old Strathcona is filled with various cafes and restaurants to satisfy that craving. No matter what your palate, the community has plenty of options for any meal.
- Searching for delicious Italian pasta and wine? Chianti Café and Restaurant is the perfect option to thrill your taste buds. With a wide variety of delectable pastas, homemade soups, and of course the freshly baked Italian bread, you will be hungry no more. Chianti Café and Restaurant is an excellent lunch and dinner choice and is enjoyable for the whole family!
- Perhaps you are itching for a fiesta in your mouth with some quality Mexican food? If that is the case, El Cortez Mexican Kitchen + Tequila Bar is just the place for a blend of modern Latin fusion, traditional favorites, and gourmet street food. They have a main floor open all week long as well as a Tequila Cellar on Friday and Saturdays for late night DJ entertainment.
- If you are a loud-talker, enjoy a good drink, and love to eat Southern-styled food, Have Mercy is just the place for you. Known for their delicious Southern food (Steak with Beans on Toast or Sweet Corn Hush Puppies), whiskies, craft cocktails, and live entertainment. Have Mercy is filled with a contagious energy and satisfying eats all week long.
- Of course, fitness is always important in any community, but why not have some fun while you exercise? Located on Whyte Avenue is Aradia Fitness who provides women with unique and creative ways to stay in shape and feel sexy while doing it – pole dancing! With a variety of classes to choose from, it doesn’t matter if it is your first time or you are an expert. The fitness classes are there to increase confidence, have fun, and get a workout. Party options are available if you choose to go with a group of close friends. Stay fit and have fun in Old Strathcona!
Old Strathcona is home to many different events and festivals. At the end of June, the community is hosting the Edmonton International Jazz Festival, free to all. If you want to keep up on the latest activity in this community, check out the Old Strathcona event board. The site lists everything upcoming: live music, outdoor sales, festivals, and the newest promotions available at local retailers.
Plan a day to explore the many exciting opportunities in Old Strathcona. Visit the year round, indoor farmers market and browse the different vendors. Take a walking tour and gaze at the historical buildings that date back to the early 1900’s. Want more to do? Check out The Paint Spot and the gallery showings they currently have, or visit Crankpots Ceramic Studio to get creative with painting ceramics. No matter how you plan your day, there is always plenty to do in Old Strathcona!
If you want to really immerse yourself into the energy of Old Strathcona, there are currently 21 rental listings available on RentFaster.ca. Rentals include houses, condos, and apartments to suit any style of living you require. The area is affordable with an average rental price of $1,288. If your job takes you elsewhere, Edmonton public transportation options are available. For those who work in downtown Edmonton, the commute is 10 minutes by car or 30 minutes by bus. The Old Strathcona area is perfect for easy access to services, food, and amenities while staying engaged in the community. Want an Edmonton rental elsewhere? There are 2875 rentals to choose from in Edmonton.
Get involved, have fun, and feel the thrill of a truly passionate community: Old Strathcona. Check out Rentfaster.ca for current listings and find the perfect rental for you!
OFFICIAL CONTEST RULES for the Old Strathcona Local Business Giveaway on Facebook (June 22, 2017)
No purchase is necessary and winner will be chosen in random draw. Each comment gives one entry; multiple entries per person allowed. Contest is open to any Saskatchewan resident over 18 years of age. Contest is open until June 30, 2017 at 11:59 PM. Prize includes various food retailer gift cards, free pole dancing fitness session, and 1 hour session of free tattooing. No substitutes or cash replacement allowed. Skill-testing question required.
Winner will be contacted via Facebook within one week after contest close and has one week to respond to claim prize or a new name will be selected. Odds of winning depend on entries. Gift basket will be delivered via mail to winner’s address within six weeks of accepting prize via Facebook or email.
This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook. We hereby release Facebook of any liability.
Unit 1 – 10015 82 Ave
Chianti Café and Restaurant
El Cortez Mexican Kitchen + Tequila Bar
Have Mercy Southern Table & Bar
Chantelle Beasley (Owner)